KABUL - The Ministry of Defense on Monday announced that the 5th phase of security transition would start soon, stressing the war on terror should continue as long as its sanctuaries existed outside Afghanistan.
At a joint press conference with Gen. Gunter Kitz of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), ministry spokesman Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi said currently Afghan forces were responsible for maintaining security in 80 percent areas of the country.
The fifth phase of transition would start in the next few days and at the end of the current year, security responsibility across the country would be handed over to Afghan forces, he said. Afghan security personnel have the capacity to properly take the responsibility.
Afghan forces were heading 90 percent of operation in the country and people supported them in the areas where the switch had taken place, he said. “We should not hope for the early end to the war as long terrorism centers remained intact outside the country,” he said, pointing to Monday’s suicide attack in Kabul.
Seven suicide bombers were killed and two civilians hurt during the four hours clash after a group of suicide bombers stormed the Kabul International Airport early Monday morning.
Hundreds of foreign insurgents had sneaked into Afghanistan during the summer vacation of seminaries in Pakistan, but the security personnel had defeated them each time they attacked a target, Azimi claimed.
On the last day of his assignment in Afghanistan, Kitz said local security personnel were leading military operations and had taken control of many parts the country over the past year.
“Your security forces are doing better than we expect and fight successfully against the enemies of Afghanistan. They would continue to maintain peace in the country,” he hoped.
International community would continue supporting Afghans, who should not worry about being left alone, said Gen. Kitz, who was appointed last year as ISAF spokesman. He was replaced by Heinz Feldmann on Monday. (Pajhwok)