KABUL - Afghan security forces would be able to take security responsibility across the country after 2014, a NATO official hoped on Tuesday, saying his optimism stemmed from the ongoing transition process.
"NATO and international partners have committed to help fund Afghan security forces after 2014," the alliance civilian spokesman told a news conference in Kabul.
Commenting on recent remarks of Russia's senior representative, Medley said and the meeting of defense ministers had started the planning process on NATO's training, advising and assistance mission.
On Thursday, Zamir Nabiyevich said Afghan forces do not have the capability to take care of security throughout their country. He urged the international community to remain in Afghanistan beyond 2014.
About Washington's announcement on the dissolution of its Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRTs), the spokesman said the Karzai government had been taken into confidence on the issue.
The PRTs would move away from service provision to capacity building and by the end of 2014, the teams would cease to exist, handing over their work and activities to the local government, he explained.
Medley described the PRT dissolution process a natural evolution, agreed and planned with the government of Afghanistan. "It is part of the strategy for phasing out the work that the PRTs do, with the continued international support for development and governance."
By the middle of 2013, Afghan forces would be in the lead security role across the country, he said. "This is the so-called important step, important milestone, as part of the Lisbon Summit roadmap for transition."
In response to a query about the fourth tranche of transition, Medley said they expected President Karzai to make an announcement in this regard by the end of the current year. (Pajhwok)