KABUL - Senate House branded the two-day Kandahar attack an "embarrassment" to security officials in particular to provincial officials.
Head of Kandahar provincial council, Ahmad Wali Karzai, has said the Senate House has no authority to monitor Kandahar officials.
Senators dismissed the comments as irresponsible and unconstitutional.
"With regret, in the past three months Kandahar has been the scene of some painful incidents which is an embarrassment and disrepute to government security officials, especially to provincial security officials," Mohammad Alam Ezedyar, an Afghan Senator, said.
But Ahmad Wali Karzai, Chief of Kandahar Provincial Council and half-brother of President Karzai, said provincial officials have been successful to neutralize the attack.
Key government offices in Kandahar, including governor's compound and national security department were under fire for two days. The two-day attack led to the death of four people, including two policemen and two civilians.
Senate House has previously commented that if Kandahar provincial officials have lost the momentum to control the province, they should step down.
Meanwhile, Defence Ministry Spokesman said the Kandahar attack was a defeat, but security forces have been successful
to force out the insurgents.
Chief of Kandahar Provincial Council Ahmad Wali Karzai hailed security forces over their courage to beat back the Taliban militants out of the Kandahar city.
Ahmad Wali Karzai said during a recent press conference that the Taliban cannot claim to have carried out a successful attack, because the main victims were civilians.
The Kandahar gun battle erupted on Sunday and lasted until Monday afternoon. (Tolo News)