Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Saturday, July 21st, 2018

Wardak Confirms Failed Bomber Lived in London

Wardak Confirms Failed Bomber Lived in London

KABUL - Defense Minister Abdul Rahim Wardak confirmed on Tuesday that the bomber who tried to kill him had lived in London for six years.
A gunman in army uniform entered the defense headquarters, adjacent to the presidential palace, on April 18, and tried to kill Wardak. The man, who was also wearing a suicide vest, was killed in firefight after he fatally shot three army staff members.

'The one who came to the Defence Ministry spent six years in London, I confirm this,' Wardak told senators inside Afghanistan parliament.
'He was with his two to three other friends who are now in our custody,' he said, without stating if the shooter's accomplices had ever resided in Britain.
The Times newspaper reported late last month that the attacker might have lived in Britain, but Tuesday was the first time an Afghan official confirmed it.

The Afghan government has sent the would-be-bomber's name and other personal information to London for further investigation, according to the Times.
If confirmed, this would be the first suicide bomber to travel from Britain to Afghanistan to carry out an attack.
Attacks by Taliban infiltrators have increased in recent months despite stricter security controls. The recent attacks have raised concerns regarding the ability of Afghan forces to scrutinize new recruits joining the country's fledgling security sectors. (DPA)