KABUL- Up to 12,500 students, 42 percent of them girls, from 40 high schools appeared in the first phase of the university entrance test in Kabul on Monday, an official said.
The test took place simultaneously at Kabul, Medical, Polytechnic and Education Universities, as well as the Loya Jirga tent, Deputy Minister of Education Barai Siddiqui told journalists. He said the result would be announced in late March.
One of the participants, Shakila, told Pajhwok Afghan News: "Questions were easy, but admissions to choice faculties may be difficult due to the large number of candidates." However, she hoped to find her way to the journalism faculty.
The entry test for the remaining students would take place on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to Siddiqui, who said nearly 38,000 candidates from Kabul alone would sit the exam.
Siddiqui added Afghans living abroad and those who had previously failed the test in their respective provinces could participate in the exam in Kabul on March 5.
According to the Ministry of Higher Education, up to 150,000 students will participate in this year's entry test. Of them, 34,000 will be enrolled in higher education institutes and another 50,000 to colleges across the country.