KABUL - President Hamid Karzai has refused to accept establishment of US permanent military bases in Afghanistan, Interior Minister said on Sunday.
After the Afghan House of Representatives summoned security officials to brief the house on security situation which is being unprecedentedly worse in recent weeks. Interior Minister and Deputy Defence Minister appeared before parliamentarians to answer some security questions.
Speaking in the commission of domestic security affairs of parliament, Interior Minister Bismellah Mohammadi said currently the focus is more on strategic partnership between Kabul and Washington.
"Nobody accepts the discussion of US permanent military bases and the government also rejects it," Interior Minister Bismellah Mohammadi said.
During the briefing Deputy Defense Minister Enayatullah Nazari said more than 1820 insurgent groups are operating in Afghanistan that are related to bigger insurgent networks.
When asked about defense ministry assailant, Mr Nazari said "one thing is clear for us that the attacker couldn't have entered into the ministry without having a link within the ministry."
Last week on Monday Afghan defense ministry's main building came under attack from a would-be suicide bomber who was shot dead before detonating his explosive vest.
Two Afghan army soldiers along with an ANA officer were killed in the incident.