KABUL - The second, third and fourth phase of the security transition process had begun and a clear cut policy in this regard would be worked out in next three months, said head of the transition process on Sunday. Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai told a meeting of the National Security Council, chaired by President Hamid Karzai at the presidential palace, that the first phase of the security transition had been completed and the second, third and fourth phase were being carried out in coordination with foreign troops, the Karzai Office said in a statement.
Ghani said that more provinces to be included in the process would be identified in the new policy. The transition was underway along with training and providing equipment to Afghan forces, he said.
However, he said that government departments and local departments should make efforts at improving good governance to remove distrust of people.
The first phase of the transition process that started from Bamyan on July 17 had been completed in Panjsher, Kabul, excluding Sarobi district, Mehtarlam, Lashkargah, Herat city and Mazar-i-Sharif, Ghani said.
The meeting was also attended by ISAF commanders, NATO's civilian representative and the US ambassador to Afghanistan, Kark Eikenberry. The participants were briefed on the security transition process and coordination between Afghan and foreign troops in this regard.
The participants vowed continued cooperation between Afghan and foreign troops until the transition process was completed. The meeting also discussed civilian casualties during military operations. The defence and interior ministers, the National Directorate of Security chief presented their reports about the security situation. The reports said that civilian casualties had increased in suicide attacks and roadside bomb blasts.
Security officials told the meeting that though a number of terrorist attacks had been prevented and some suspects arrested, civilian casualties increased by 30 percent.