Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Wednesday, August 12th, 2020

US Envoy in Qatar: Gulf Dispute ‘Gone on Too Long’

US Envoy in Qatar: Gulf Dispute  ‘Gone on Too Long’

WASHINGTON - The three-year blockade of Qatar by neighbouring Arab nations has gone on for too long and threatens regional security and prosperity, a US envoy has said.
US Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook on Sunday acknowledged the challenge ahead of ending the crisis that has torn apart the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) - with the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain part of the siege.
Egypt also joined the blockade, which saw nations close their airspace and borders to Qatar in June 2017.
Kuwait and Oman, the two other nations in the GCC, have sought dialogue between the countries since, with Kuwait's Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah leading those efforts.
The United States has so far unsuccessfully tried to mediate the dispute; which Washington sees as a threat to efforts to contain Iran.
"The dispute has continued for too long," Hook told reporters from Doha after meeting with Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani.
"Bringing an end to this dispute really will advance the collective interests of all the parties to this conflict." (Aljazeera)